Friday, October 11, 2013

Oct 10 - Fenwick Island, SC to Beaufort, SC (24 miles)

Today's goal was the town of Beaufort, SC, a short run of 24 miles.  I enjoyed a late morning as I wanted to transit the Ashepoo Coosaw Cutoff (another ICW troublespot) at close to high tide.  Got underway at 1000 and was through the cut by 1115 with no problems.

What you don't want to meet in a narrow channel

Osprey nest

Red-neck party barge
Arrived at Beaufort around 1:30 and was moored at Lady’s Island Marina at 1:50.  Bill Kelly, a good friend of mine that I was stationed with in the Coast Guard met me at the dock and helped with the lines.  Bill (who recently retired from the CG) wife Tamera and son Sean are cruising the ICW – I last saw them a month or so ago at the Norfolk Naval Station MWR marina when they pulled in there for a few days while heading south.  Bill called earlier in the week and told me they were holed up at Lady’s Island Marina for a few weeks, so I decided to stop in for a day.  They invited me over for dinner and we grilled up some fine steaks, followed by a few rum and cokes and a glass or two from the bottle of homemade blueberry wine I brought over.  Great people and a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment