Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Oct 7 - McClellanville, SC to Charleston, SC (37 miles)

The words for today were wind and rain, and plenty of both.  Up at 0630 for an early start, but it was raining so hard I didn’t get underway until 0830.  I’ve had nothing but clear blue skies since departing Norfolk so I guess I can’t complain, but it was nonetheless pretty nasty until noon or so when the rain finally let up.  The good news is that I passed the next ICW trouble spot on a rising, almost high tide and had plenty of water. 
Shrimp boat graveyard

House in the middle of nowhere
I was cruising along deep in concentration on the charts when something breached right beside the helm, scaring the crap out of me.  They did it a couple of times and I managed to get a pic - not the best, but still probably the pic of the day.

The goal for today was an anchorage just up from another reported trouble spot 10 miles north of Charleston, SC.  I made better time than expected however, and arrived at that spot an hour or so before dead low tide (my original estimate) so I decided to gird my loins and push on to Charleston.  I saw a few sections that were 9’ deep, but otherwise made it through fine and was moored up at the Charleston Maritime Center docks at 2:45.

Charleston Bridge

Charleston Maritime Center docks

No comments:

Post a Comment