Saturday, October 12, 2013

Oct 12 - Possum Point, GA to Crescent River Anchorage, GA (44 miles)

I was up early, but had to wait for the tide to rise so I could tackle the next ICW trouble spot, a shallow cut called Hell Gate.  There was another sailboat in the anchorage ahead of me and when they didn’t get underway by 0800 I figured they were waiting for the same thing.  I planned on getting underway around 1100, which would put me at Hell Gate on a ½ rising tide.  I started prepping to leave around 1045 and noticed the other sailboat was getting underway, so I let them pass and I followed them out and south towards Hell Gate.  It’s good to be the second boat, particularly when passing through a shallow area (lets them pre-sound out any shallow spots for you).  Fortunately we both made it through fine, with the lowest depth I saw being 10 ft.
The rest of the day’s run was uneventful and I was anchored in Crescent River by 1800.  I’m within striking distance of Brunswick Landing Marina (37 miles) and  the end of my trip, but I have one more ICW trouble spot to pass (about 1 hour south of here) called Little Mud River and the timing of the tide is against me.  Looks like I’ll have to hang around here until 1200 or so pass Little Mud River on a partial rising tide, so I’ll either have to kill half the day waiting or try to make it through at low tide or close to it.  Not sure which I’ll do at the moment.
Crescent River Anchorage

No comments:

Post a Comment