Saturday, October 5, 2013

Oct 5 - Barefoot Landing, North Myrtle Beach, SC to Georgetown, SC (50 miles)

Up and underway at 0715 for the 50 mile run to Georgetown, SC.  NOAA weather radio called for early morning fog that was supposed to burn off by 0800 or so.  It was fairly clear  when I left the dock, but a few minutes later I was in the thick of it, with very limited visibility on and off for the next two hours.

Once the fog burned away, today’s leg was as laid back and stress-free as any so far.  The bulk of today’s travel was on the Waccamaw River, which was wide and deep.  I was able to use Crazy Ivan (my auto-pilot) for much of the day, which meant I could sit back and relax without having to constantly peer and steer from one navaid to the other.


I reached Georgetown and was moored up at the Harborwalk Marina at 14:45.
 

After tidying up the boat and paying my dock fees, I headed out by bike to see the town. Georgetown is a town rich in history, with a neat downtown area and lots of period houses with tree lined streets to bike along.




Georgetown is also a big cruising destination while traveling the ICW.  The big news here is a fire that occurred last week and burned down four adjacent buildings in the downtown area.  


Those buildings must have went up like a match - I could smell the smell of burned "fat lighter" pine wood (as we used to call it) or fat wood  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwood.  It smelled like the buildings were framed or built of it and that stuff is so flamable, we used to use it as a torch at night back on the farm when I was a kid.  We always had some of it near the fireplace or the wood stove in the winter to help start a fire.

The town is trying to spread the word that despite the fire, the town is open and ready for the fall cruisers.
Speaking of bikes, it's bike week here in Myrtle Beach.  Here's a picture of an unusual one I saw in Georgetown today.

No comments:

Post a Comment