Monday, September 30, 2013

Sept 30 - Morehead City Yacht Basin Marina (Morehead City, NC) to Mile Hammock Bay (MCB Camp Lejeune, NC)

Got underway at 7:15, but was delayed for an hour due to a Morehead City R/R bridge closure.  Started heading south around 8:35.  If I have any old stomping grounds, this stretch of coast (Morehead City to Southport, NC) would be it.  Not only did I spend a lot of time as a kid on Topsail Island, but I went to college at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington and was stationed here a number of times while in the Coast Guard (Ft Macon and Oak Island).
The goal today was Mile Hammock Bay, a popular anchorage just North of Topsail Island and adjacent to Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Base_Camp_Lejeune , a total of 41 miles. 
The weather was great and I made good time, dropping anchor at 2:10.  Luckily the artillery range was not in use today (in which case they close off the ICW during live fire exercises). 
My bit of excitement for the day was touching bottom at one of the well-known shallow spots along the ICW (the first time of the trip and hopefully the last) but I was able to spin around and find deeper water fairly quickly.  I knew the area was reported as being a challenge to pass at low tide (which it was) and I was traveling pretty slow, but the shoal had drifted farther into the channel than was reported (that’s my story anyway).  MELEU has a 6’ draft, which is pretty deep and can make for some intense moments while transiting the “bad spots” along the ICW.  Tomorrow’s goal is Wilmington, NC.


Firing range sign along the ICW


Mile Hammock Bay Anchorage

No comments:

Post a Comment